Back

Transformer Tower

The transformer tower station originates from Niedermarsberg (Marsberg, Hochsauerland district) and was built in 1924 as a modern concrete structure. Here, the electricity that came from the power station via high-voltage lines was “transformed down” to the standard household voltage of 220 volts. The transformer tower supplied the houses with electricity via open overhead lines. The small structure represents the electrification of rural areas in the 1920s. At the same time, its architecture, with its suggested concrete posts and beams, is reminiscent of a traditional half-timbered construction. This corresponds to the demands of the historical heritage conservation movement (Heimatschutzbewegung) of the late 19th century, which aimed to preserve regional landscapes.