The gas station was originally built in Niederschelden (Siegen, Siegen-Wittgenstein district) in 1951. In the museum, it is presented as it would have appeared around 1960.
After the Second World War, the era of mass motorization began and oil companies built networks of gas stations. The gas station in the museum is a modern concrete structure with a flat roof dating from 1951. It was built by the oil company J. & A. Homberg (city of Wuppertal-Barmen) for the Diehl family in Niederschelden. In 1973, the Avia Group took over the gas station, which closed in 1987. From 2010 to 2013, the gas station was moved to the museum. It represents the development of mobility in rural Westphalia.